When the cuff is assembled correctly, the hook material will be on the outside of the cuff loop and the metal D-ring will not touch your skin. If the cuff is not assembled, pass the end of the cuff furthest from the tubing through the metal D-ring to form a loop. The smooth cloth should be on the inside of the cuff loop.
1. Remove tight-fitting clothing from your upper arm.
2. Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Rest your left arm on a table so that the cuff is at the same level as your heart. Turn the palm of your hand upward.
3. Put your left arm through the cuff loop. The bottom of the cuff should be approximately 2cm above the elbow. The cuff tab should lie over the brachial artery on the inside of the arm. The cuff tube should run down the centre of the arm even with the middle
4. Secure the cuff around your arm using the cloth closure. Pull the cuff so that the top and bottom edges are tightened evenly around your arm.
5. Make sure the cuff is wrapped firmly in place. You should be able to fit your index finger between the cuff and your arm easily.
6. Relax your arm and place your elbow on the table so that the cuff is at the same level as your heart.
7. Be sure there are no kinks in the air tubing.